Dear fellow Yorkie lover,
We know that Yorkies are adorable, cute little dogs that many of us have fallen in love with. How can anyone resist? But, as cute as they are, it’s a well known issue that smaller dogs have a more difficult time with potty training than larger dogs. So, we’re here to help you. We answer questions about potty training puppies almost every day because we created the best indoor dog potty system on the market. It’s the ONLY APA (American Pet Association) approved product of it’s kind. So we know what we’re talking about.
1) Puppies are like children. And just like children, they do not know right from wrong. They have to be taught.
2) The Age Of Your Yorkie Affects The Potty Training Process
a) The general rule of thumb is that for the first 5 – 7 weeks of your Yorkie’s life, you will need an indoor potty training system is necessary and should be used in conjunction with the housebreaking process.
b) The most important time in potty training puppies takes place between the first 8 – 16 weeks. This is when it’s important that your training be consistent. That means using the same techniques and keeping to a time frame. Be aware that at this age, puppies can generally hold their bladder for as long as 2 hours. So, consider then when setting up a time frame on how often to take him out.
c) By the time your Yorkie is 16 weeks old he should be able to hold his bladder for as long as 4 hours. Your home dog training process should continue but of course by now, your puppy should be quite well trained. You can simply change your time frame now from taking him out every 2 hours to taking him out every 4 hours.
d) By the time your beloved Yorkie is 6 months old he should be able to hold his bladder for 5 – 6 hours. Most puppies are housebroken by this time, although there may be the occasional “accident”, depending on factors such as changes in the environment and of course any infections or illnesses.
If you suspect an infection or illness please take your Yorkie to your Veterinarian immediately.
Tips On Potty Training Your Yorkie Puppy
Potty train your Yorkie puppy the easy way with 7 easy to follow steps.
1) Never, ever physically punish your puppy. It’s cruel and it eventually results in bad behavior from your dog. Many dog owners make this mistake when potty training puppies so don’t make this same mistake.
2) You want to catch your Yorkie “in the act” and immediately pick him up and take him outside to where you would like him to go. Use a stern voice, enough to let him know that what he was doing was not acceptable. It’s important to catch him “in the act” because it can be confusing to your pet when you’re scolding him and he’s not sure why. You want to potty train a puppy to go outside but it takes time and patience.
3) You want your puppy to learn where it’s NOT appropriate to relieve himself. Notably in the home, near food and sleeping areas. You can do this by using a crate and an indoor potty system. Although it may seem cruel to put your beautiful Yorkie in a crate the truth is, it offers a sense of security for him. It’s “his” place. It’s important to note that he should only be confined in the crate for a short period of time. It’s not meant to be a jail cell. You can put your puppy in the crate when you’re away from home but make sure to note the recommendations we have given you regarding the age of your puppy and how often they need to relive themselves.
Crates can be metal or wood or even plastic. These days, they come in a large variety of shapes and materials. Make it comfortable for your Yorkie by making sure it’s large enough for him to turn around in and be comfortable, but not so large that they can roam. In general, dogs do not generally relieve themselves in their immediate territory so you want to keep the space small enough to avoid him “going” in his crate.
4) Consistency is the key factor in potty training puppies. Not only in timing how often to take your puppy outside but also in location. When you do take him outside, make sure to take him to the same spots. For an indoor dog potty system, make sure it remains in the same area in your home. Keep to a feeding schedule as well. Use the same language and the same tone of speech each time you are going to take him out. The more consistent you can be, the better it will be for you and your beloved dog.
5) Don’t wait to begin the house training process. As soon as you bring your new puppy home, start right away. To potty train a puppy, you need to establish your house rules as soon as you can.
6) Make sure to reward your pet by praising him when he does the right thing. Just like children, puppies need to know that they’ve pleased you.
7) A little tip that may help in the first 6 months of potty training puppies is to put up the puppy’s water bowl during the night. This will keep him from drinking throughout the night which will help him (and you) to sleep through the night!
Follow these tips and you will successfully potty train a puppy!
Well, we hope that these tips on how to house train a yorkie puppy will help you and your new family member to become the very best of friends for many, many years.
Popularity: 1% [?]